When you insert tables, pictures and other objects in your Word 2007 document, you'll want to add a caption to it. The caption can clarify the object. The caption will also help you refer to the object within the document.
Fortunately, Word makes it easy for you to insert a caption for your table or picture. Just follow these steps:
1. Select the object
2. Open the Reference on the Insert menu
3. On the References ribbon, click Insert Caption in the Captions section
4. In the Label box, select the type of label type
5. In the Position box, specify the placement of the label
6. In the Caption box, insert any additional information
7. Click OK
The caption is inserted as a field. This means the numbering will update automatically. This simplifies things if you need to rearrange your document.