Hedwig von Ebbel/Wikimedia Commons
When youre working on an academic paper, it is important to cite your references. Adding footnotes in Word is quite easy. Word automates the process so the numbering is always correct. Plus, if you make changes to the document, you dont need to worry about the placement of the footnotes.
To insert footnotes, follow these steps:
1. Place the cursor where the footnote mark should be located
2. On the Insert menu, select Reference
3. On the Reference submenu, click Footnote
4. Make sure Footnotes is selected in the Location section
5. Additionally, select Bottom of page, if it isnt already
6. Click Insert
The footnote mark will appear at the selected location. Word will take you to the footnote section at the bottom of the page.
7. Enter the footnote text. Add formatting if desired
You can add footnotes in any order you want. Word automatically updates the numbering.