Word Perfect can create a mail merge in a matter of minutes. A mail merge is a tool for generating mass mailings, such as form letters. Mail merges contain unique data, such as names and addresses, as well as information that is standard throughout each document. For example, you might use a mail merge to send customers information about a new product or sale, print mailing labels, appointment reminders, or payment due reminders.
You have three different items that come into play with a mail merge:
- A data file is where your recipients are stored.
- A form file is where you design your merge.
- Finished documents combine the data from your data file with the text in your merge document to create individual documents for the recipients.
This tutorial walks you through creating a simple mail merge using an existing data file.
Choosing Your Data FileThe first step to creating your mail merge is to connect to your data file. You also have the option of creating a data file from scratch at this time.
- Click Tools, Merge to open the Merge dialog box.
- Click the Data Source button.
- Browse to the location the data file is saved.
- Click OK.
Create Form FileThe next step in creating your mail merge is setting up your form file. This file is where you will place your merge field placeholders as well as the rest of your text.
- Click the Form Document button in the Merge dialog box.
- Choose Create Form Document.
- Name your form file. The file name ends in a .dat extension.
Insert Form Fields
- Type your document.
- Place your document where you want to place the merge field.
- Click the Insert Merge Field button.
- Select the field to insert and click the Insert button or double-click the field.
- Include punctuation, such as a space between First Name and Last Name or a comma after the City field.
- Once all of the fields are inserted, click the Close button.
Finish Your MergeNow that you have connected to your data file and you have created your form file, it is time to finish your merge.
- Click the Merge button on the Mail Merge toolbar to display the Merge dialog box.
- Click the Merge button on the Merge dialog box to kick off the merge.