Footnotes and endnotes are essential parts of academic papers. They can also be difficult to format and align. Fortunately, Word 2007 automates the process of working with footnotes and endnotes.
To insert a footnote or endnote, follow these steps:
1. Position the cursor where you would like to insert the reference number
2. Open the References ribbon
3. Click Insert Footnote or Insert Endnote
If you add or remove footnotes or endnotes in earlier portions of the document, the numbering will update automatically.
To change the formatting of footnotes and endnotes, follow these steps:
1. Open the References ribbon
2. Click the box in the bottom right corner of the Footnotes section
Specify your options in the dialog box that opens.
Citing References in Word
Advanced Formatting Options for Word 2007
Work Faster in Microsoft Word