Looking for information on Endnotes? Read How to Insert Endnotes in Word for Mac 2011.Using Word 2010? Read How to Insert a Footnote in Word 2010 .
There are two parts to a footnote – the note reference mark and the footnote text. The note reference mark is a number that marks the in-document text, while the footnote text is where you type the information. Using Microsoft Word to insert your footnotes has the added benefit of having Microsoft Word control your footnotes as well.
This means that when you insert a new footnote, Microsoft Word will automatically number the selected text in the document. If you add a footnote citation between two other citations, or if you delete a citation, Microsoft Word will automatically adjust the numbering to reflect the changes.
Insert a FootnoteInserting a footnote is an easy task. With just a few clicks, you have a footnote inserted into the document.
- Click at the end of the word where you want the footnote inserted.
- Click on the Insert menu.
- Click Footnotes. Microsoft Word shifts the document to the footnote area.
- Type your footnote in the Footnote text area.
- Follow the above steps to insert more footnotes.
Read FootnoteYou do not have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to read an footnote. Simply hover your mouse over the number citation in the document and the footnote is displayed as a small pop-up, much like a tool-tip.
Delete an FootnoteDeleting an footnote is easy as long as you remember to delete the note citation within the document. Deleting the note itself will leave the numbering in the document.
- Select the note citation within the document.
- Press Delete on your keyboard. The footnote is deleted and the remaining footnotes are renumbered.
Delete All FootnotesDeleting all of your footnote references can be done in just a a few clicks.
- Click Advanced Find and Replace on the Edit menu in the Find option.
- Click the Replace tab and make sure the Replace field is empty.
- In the Find section, on the Special pop-up menu, click Footnote Mark .
- Click Replace All. All the footnotes are deleted.